There’s More Than Antioxidants in Dark Chocolate
The antioxidants in dark chocolate have truly amazing health benefits.
Cacao is the number one antioxidant super food in the world – but the antioxidants are just the tip of the iceberg.
This isn’t just a chocoholic’s dream, there is solid science, and thousands of years of medicinal use to back up this claim.
Unfortunately, milk chocolate just doesn’t come close. Even though it has a high ORAC score, only in vitro (in the lab) does it have antioxidant activity. Even still, the numbers do not compare to dark chocolate’s antioxidants (20 816 versus 7519, respectively).
In vivo (in your body), milk chocolate’s antioxidant activity isblocked by the milk powder.
Adding dairy to cacao is proven to be unhealthy – so forget chocolate milk! Stick to dark chocolate, which helps your blood flow and your heart beat better, and neutralizes all those damaging free radicals.
Here are some findings from various laboratory studies that reaffirm there are more antioxidants in dark chocolate.
The Antioxidant Research Laboratory in Rome, and the University of Glasgow in Glasgow
Study: Plasma Antioxidants From Chocolate
“Our findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate in vivo and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate.”
Study: Nutrition: Milk and Absorption of Dietary Flavanoids
“Our results indicate that there is an increase in total antioxidant capacity (TAC) and epicatechin content of plasma in people who have consumed dark chocolate, and that these effects are reduced by the presence of milk.”
Also note: Pasteurized milk is the number one food that causes allergies.
Many times, those who thought they were allergic to chocolate, found out they had dairy allergy instead. Milk also has many pesticide, herbicide and artificial hormone residues bio-accumulated from the cow.
Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants because it is made from the super food cacao. The less adulterated the chocolate: the less sugar, wax and other fillers in it, the healthier it is.
Did you know…? White chocolate used to be made from white cacao beans. These days, the only natural ingredient in white chocolate is the cacao butter.
|Health benefits of dark chocolate
• It is a high antioxidant super food with more antioxidant activity than green tea and red wine. Cooked dark chocolate has an ORAC score of 20 816 – and raw cacao is at least 5 times better.
The main antioxidants in dark chocolate are polyphenols: flavonoids and epicatechins. Flavonoids in chocolate are some of the most powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral and anticancer compounds known.
• The right kind of chocolate can be considered a whole food – and a medicinal one at that.
• Cacao – the main ingredient in healthy chocolate, is a nutrient powerhouse. It contains over 300 bioactive compounds! Some of the good stuff includes B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6), vitamin C, Copper, Calcium, Pohsophorus, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese, Vitamin E, protein and fiber.
• Chocolate contains PEA – the love chemical, Anandamide – the bliss chemical, natural dopamine, and it releases endorphins! That is why it helps people with depression, ADD and ADHD, works as an aphrodisiac, and improves mood and overall mental function. That sure makes me happy!
• Healthy benefits of include: a healthy heart, cancer and diabetes protection, emotional health, weight loss, and a long and pain free life.
Pure Raw &