Kevin Gianni has gathered top experts in diet for an intriguing and educational event like no other.
The first to open it up were Dr. Joseph Mercola and Dr. Gabriel Cousens. Dr Mercola is an Osteopathic physician, an educator of the dangers of modern medicine, and the creator the most popular natural health website. Read more about him here.
Gabriel Cousens founded the Tree of Life healing center in Arizona. He is a healer, to put it shortly, advocating live-food nutrition, natural healing techniques blended with spiritual awareness, in the healing of body, mind and spirit. His books include Conscious Eating, Depression-Free for Life, Spiritual Nutrition and the Rainbow Diet.
Both experts were very respectful in this debate, agreeing on many points. When it comes to diet, each person is unique and individual in their needs. The goal is to be able to listen to your bodies natural desires, but be cleansed and aware enough to do so. Both Cousens and Mercola agreed on most important variables:
- Good quality organic and natural food, from a local source
- Getting most of the nutrition from the food, but supplementing might be necessary
- Everyone should eat more vegetables, especially leafy greens
- Raw foods are important, as well as raw water that comes from a natural spring.
A good diet is low-glycemic, containing little to no grains (keep in mind quinoa, amaranth, millet and buckwheat are seeds, not grains), high in minerals, mostly plant-based, contain no plastic, and contain love!
I love raw foods! They leave me energized, without any “heavy” feeling. Sometimes the recipes take a bit of preparing in advance – but so worth it! This weeks menu is a simple gourmet sandwich (with soft raw seed bread) and decadent raw chocolate brownie balls.
Onion Flat-Bread (make the night before, in advance):
- 3/4 cup ground flax
- 3/4 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 tbsp miso (fermented rice, barley or soybean paste)
- 1/3 cup water
Grind the flax and sunflower seeds in a spice mill or coffee grinder (a Vitamix will do it too). Combine with the other ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water if you need to, it should be almost doughy, but still spreadable. Spread this onto dehydrator sheets, as thin as you want. Dehydrate for 4-8 hours at a low temperature (115 F), then cut into bread squares.
- Sliced avocado (the perfect balance of protein and good fat)
- Sprouts (sunflower go well)
- Thinly sliced tomato, cucumber, or preffered topping
- Himalayan salt and pepper (optional)
Assemble the toppings on the bread and top with a slice. Have fun eating deliciousness!
These are so simple and fun to make, especially if you like working the mixture with your hands like playdough (kids will enjoy this too). It’s amazing how something so life-giving can taste sooo good.
- 3/4 cup sliced filberts (hazelnuts)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp hemp seed butter (other raw nut or seed butter would be good too)
- 3 tbsp raw honey or agave syrup
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla
Combine everything except honey and hemp seed butter in a bowl, mixing well. Now add the honey and butter with a spoon and knead with your hands, and form balls or shapes.
Raw chocolate is good for weight loss. Honey is antiomicrobial. Hemp is bountiful in essential fatty acids. This rich chocolate dessert is not going to leave you wanting more…satisfaction at last!