Today, we’re getting extra beta-carotene – vitamin A – with carrots. Dill weed packs an extra cancer-fighting punch with antioxidants like eugenol and limonene. Cranberry (yum – polyphenols) and lemon (mmm…flavonoids) are bursting at the seems with antioxidants. Eat em up!
This salad takes a good it of manual labor…and it is very rewarding. (Really though, it’s simple 😉 )
Normally a salad like this serves two or three people, or even more as just a side salad. I think I just might polish it off by myself – it’s a carrot kind of day.
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup dill weed
- 1/2 cup sliced or whole filberts (hazelnuts)
- Handful of dried or fresh whole cranberries
- Splash of fresh squeezed lemon juice or vinegar
- Splash of olive oil
- Himalayan rock salt to taste
- Grate the two carrots (this is the hard manual labour part).
- Add the cranberries and a splash of lemon juice.
- Add this and the hazelnuts to the salad, drizzling with olive oil and sprinkiing with salt.
- Now stir your beautiful creation and serve.
And for dessert…
(Tip: I like to have my dessert first. If it’s fruit – it sits in my tummy better.)
- Chopped and cored apples (use whatever quanitity you desire)
- Unpaseurized honey or agave nectar (again, use to taste)
- A good dash of cinammon (I like mine extra cinammon-y)
Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until you get a good smooth consistency. Spoon into bowls and enjoy! I garnished mine with some fresh cranberries and a slice of lemon.
Check out more healthy recipes on This Mama Cooks! Healthy Food Blog Carnival